How Emotionally Intelligent People Turn Frustration and Stress Into Fulfillment and Achievement

 


Every member of our team would bring their paperwork to my workstation after completing a task. Likewise, every operator in the plant followed suit, bringing their paperwork to their designated workstations.

Except for Mike. As it fell under my responsibilities to collect and submit all paperwork to production control, I found myself making the 30-yard trek to the head of the line six or eight times a day because Mike didn't adhere to the routine.

Needless to say, it bothered me—a lot.

One day, while grumbling about it to another operator, I questioned why Mike couldn't simply walk his paperwork down like everyone else. The colleague shook his head and asked, "Why do you care? You're already walking up that way several times a day. Just grab whatever is there on your way by."

He had a point.

While I preferred Mike's paperwork neatly at the end of the job for the sake of order and consistency, the truth was I didn't actually need it. The urgency I felt was self-imposed.

So, I decided to adjust my perspective and simply grab Mike's paperwork whenever I passed by.

Instantly, my frustration vanished.

This scenario is a clear example of cognitive reframing, which involves looking at a situation or problem from a different angle. In my case, it meant considering the situation from Mike's viewpoint.

From his perspective, I was passing by multiple times a day. Why should he interrupt a job changeover to bring me his paperwork? His time was better spent getting us ready for the next task.

In fact, the same applied to every operator on our team.

Consequently, I began collecting everyone's paperwork, ultimately saving us about a minute per job changeover. Although one minute might not sound substantial, it significantly reduced our changeover time by nearly 8%, given our already high efficiency.

Therapists often refer to reframing as "therapy's most effective tool," and scientific studies support its efficacy. For instance, a study in Emotion found that reinterpreting a stimulus can notably decrease feelings of fear. Another study in the Journal of Evidence-Based Psychotherapies showed that reframing can increase pain tolerance and decrease pain intensity. Furthermore, a 2012 study in the Journal of Clinical Psychology demonstrated that reframing can significantly reduce stress and anxiety.

The key is to make your emotions work for you by looking at a frustrating situation from a different perspective. As suggested by my colleague Justin Bariso, when faced with frustration, take a step back and ask fundamental questions:

  • How serious is this problem? Am I getting worked up over nothing? In my case, Mike's paperwork was genuinely a non-issue.
  • Can I change my perspective on the problem to alter how I feel about it? Shifting my view from irritation to recognizing it as a way to enhance productivity eliminated my frustration.
  • How can I approach this problem differently to direct my emotional energy to more significant issues? While I initially sought compliance, what we truly needed was increased productivity, and that's where I needed to focus my energy.

Try reframing. Instead of fixating on what you want, concentrate on what you need. This might involve picking up someone else's slack for the greater good or overlooking an outstanding employee's occasional quirks.

To reduce anxiety and boost confidence, consider viewing the world differently. For instance, if anxious about a presentation, recognize that the audience wants you to succeed—they're on your side. If pitching to investors, realize they're searching for great ideas and ventures, making them allies in your success.

Ultimately, reframing can be the most effective approach to handling various challenges and emotions, helping you navigate situations with a fresh perspective.

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts